Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another Splendiferous* Sunday

There is a new walking trail in the sand dunes behind Guincho beach. The entire loop is 2-3km and we did it at a very slow pace.

 Freddy liked to run up ahead of us

and then sit and take a break while the big kids caught up.

When they saw this sheer faced dune in the distance, they couldn't resist climbing up and running down.
there goes Zita
Freddy was the bravest and went first



 The light and scenery were so beautfiul, but still I had to beg, plead, and eventually bribe the children into standing together long enough for me to take their picture. It might be our Christmas picture so I won't share it here.
Taking a little break before the final push back to the car.

Standard teenage text break.


We made it back to the car and came upon the most surreal display I have ever seen at Guincho. The sun was setting against a backdrop of 10 foot high waves,  a live band was playing, and not a single person was on the beach. I felt a little silly going up to the edge of the cliff to take this shot next to all the other tri-pod toting people. One day I'll have a tri-pod and a good camera.


After getting as much sand off as we could, we piled into the car and got as far as the lighthouse down the road before we decided that the last minutes of the sunset had to be savored.

So we pulled over and encouraged the children to explore the rocks and take in the beauty. We counted to 87 in unison as the last of the sun disappeared.

Have I mentioned yet how much I love Portugal in the Fall?

*any word used by Tigger is a real word, as far as I'm concerned

Additional information from Freddy: " You didn't write that you left the water bottles in the car and we were all really really thirsty. So thirsty!" This is true. This perfect day was ever so slightly tarnished by a lack of water.

5 comments:

  1. This post is crazy perfect -the dunes, the walk/run, the sunset. The children against the sunset is straight out of a 'life is grand' photoshoot. Megs, you do just fine with that camera - no need for camera envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!
    I want to come to Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hubbard: I more want the better zoom lens so I can capture the less willing subjects (ie everyone but Freddy). It was such a perfect day that we all kept saying we felt like we were on vacation. @ Bonny- anytime! our poor economy needs the visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely breathtaking! Such gorgeous photos!!

    ReplyDelete