Thursday, July 5, 2012

Stanislaus River

We came across the Stanislaus River by accident, but it turned out to be what will be one of the best experiences of the Summer. We hiked down a steep hill after driving on very dangerous mountain roads with no gaurd rails or signs to be seen. We had no working phone, no water, didn't tell anyone where we were going, and no food.

After finally making it down the hill, Moojie approached the riverbank and went sliding down a big boulder straight into the water. As we weren't counting on a river swim or any swim for that matter, no one brought a swim suit so everyone followed Moojie and swam in clothes.

The rocks were so smooth that they served as natural slides. The place was absolute paradise. Doesn't it look fake?


A nearby group lent us their tube for the kids to use which was all fantastic until we heard Freddy say


" uh, I need some help. I'm floating down the river."  My brother in law jumped into action leaving my 5 year old neice alone in the water and then slipped flat on his back with a smack on the rocks. I yelled for Moojie to grab my neice while my brother in law recovered from the fall and caught Freddy just in time.

The kids were like penguins on ice sliding around on this rock.


So even though my parenting wasn't stellar and lives were risked just about every 3 seconds, I had a few lucid moments and didn't let Moojie dive from this rock.


I would like to document my willing and happy spirit despite a) heat b) pregnancy c) lives at risk d) no phone, water or supplies.

Half way through the hike up, I was sure that a little pre-term labor would kick in, but I was fine and the kids haven't stopped begging to go back.


Here's a bad picture of the view down to the river from the road above.
and another look from a quarter of the way up


I haven't even scratched the surface on pictures from this mountain adventure week, but it's hard to get time with 6 kids in the house, and all of our pool, lake, and river time. It's a rough life here in California.

1 comment: