Moojie is a great friend of all the horses, and despite the horses looking practically identical to most everyone, he knows all of their names, birthdates, parentage, characteristics, and he's always correcting me when I call them by the wrong name.
Here's Moojie with a 4 year old stallion that hasn't been broken in yet.
This calf, "Libya," has been bottle fed since he was so young that he pretty much acts like a spoiled pet dog. Every year there's one or two calves that get to stay close to the house and it's always a main source of entertainment for the kids.
One of the children left the stable door - in the background of this picture- open, and this sneaky calf went to town on the horses' food. Getting a big stubborn calf out of a stable is no easy task, but it's experiences like this that make me so greatful for the diversity of experiences the kids have in their lives.
We made a bonfire, and as we were getting the kindling going, a huge toad came hopping out of the grass. Miss Zita picked that toad up with no hesitation at all, and her dear mother was nearly needing smelling salts. Witnessing it was like stepping on a slug barefoot. This thing was a big slimy fatso! I was terrified it was going to jump out on me, so I used my zoom on the max to get this shot. yuck.
Miss Zita appreciates the finer things in life, but she's certainly not a squeamish girl.
Here are Zita and Freddy admiring the bonfire before it got going
Fire building is definitely on the kids' top ten favorite things to do list. We built this fire in the field behind the chapel and quickly had to strip ourselves of extra layers of clothing. Those fires get hot!







Laughing about your toad squeamishness. Did I ever tell you about the giant toad that was always peeping in the window at the kids at night, that I was convinced was an enchanted prince who Abby would end up marrying? And the day he was hiding under the lavender peering out at me cutting the grass? Except I didn't know he was there when I shoved the mower in under the bushes. It was a no good very bad day for the enchanted prince and boy did I need the smelling salts!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Holly
double yuck Holly. I don't love frogs, but I do feel sorry for that frog, especially if it was a prince waiting for Abby's love.
ReplyDelete