Moojie decided to play up an age group again to challenge himself and although the older boys were all about his size or smaller, they sure do look like men to me! He was once again playing on a court that is the hardest to photograph. I have to risk life and limb and hang off a balcony with full zoom.

He's getting a lot more serves in and I think he only double faulted twice in the whole tournament. Major progress! There was also no line judge and I was impressed by how honest all of the players were.
Miss Zita was quite nervous and looks it in this picture. Moojie was the absolute best big brother, cheering on both Zita and Freddy, and never once complaining about the hours given up in his weekend.
Here he is talking strategy, giving tips, and telling her to "stay on the baseline." What a relief that he knows what he's talking about because her parents certainly do not. He stayed court side through every game shouting "you're doing great Zita!" or "don't worry- you've got it!" I'm too self conscious about being one of those parents to yell anything out during games so Moojie is my best spectating companion. I only got two shots of her while playing. I get very very nervous and I uncharacteristically don't take many pictures.
Freddy's tournament was a riot! The little kids all looked darling as can be and oh so very relaxed.
Almost all points were scored on double-faulted serves. These kids can't really get a rally going yet, which makes for fast games.
He engaged in some more creative swing techniques (below) and made us all proud.
He got a participant medal, which could have been the Olympic gold for all Freddy was concerned. His siblings oohed and aaahed, asked to see the medal, did lots of admiring, and then posed with him on the podium.
He was all too happy to srike a champion's pose for me.







I love the shot of Freddy swinging - he has such gusto! Congrats to Mooj for being such a great coach.
ReplyDeleteMooj's form on the serve looks really good. We may have to change the house championship to doubles until Freddy is old enough to beat Mooj a la Serena and Venus
ReplyDeleteIt's funny that the news makes it look like all of Europe is covered in ice and that means that you have to wear a hoodie in Portugal.
ReplyDeleteThe cold has been blown out of proportion. We had two days of lows in the 40s and perhaps ten minutes of 39 degrees and it became a national event. The coach even told me he understood if i didn't want the kids playing tennis in "this cold."
ReplyDeleteMoojie is determined that Freddy will never be better. Time will tell.