Thursday, February 23, 2012

Someone Missing

I never like having one of the children gone, especially not over night.  It doesn't often happen, but when it does, the house feels too quiet and empty. The saying that the easiest number of children is one fewer than the number you have is absolutely true in my experience.

I was reminded of this when Zita was away at a sleepover during the Carnaval holidays.  She and Freddy had been getting on eachother's nerves up until she left. This always happens when we don't have the structure of school to fill our days. We have a general no sleepover policy, but I let Zita go as a way of giving everyone a little breathing room.

 
(picture from Christmas 2010: Zita 6, Freddy 4)
I thought her brothers would be celebrating, but boy did we all miss her! We had one sad Freddy who continually asked when we could go and pick up Zita. Every time we transitioned to a new activity, Freddy declared "it's just not the same without Zita."

When I curled up next to him for bedtime reading, he sadly told me "Mummy, I just really reallly miss Zita."  Sibling rivalry that wears me down to my last bit of patience all gets forgotten at moments like these.

Zita came home with refreshed tolerance for Freddy and admitted that she too had missed us.

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! When they are getting on each others nerves it is too bad it doesn't work to remind them when they are apart they miss each other. I think that is the nature of siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing that old snowflake fleece. Memories!

    Love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to the "policy"?

    I think it is hysterical that the perfect number of children is one fewer than you have.

    I am sure that is true and although we are not to sleepover age- we are definitely at the age where we try and farm some out to grandparents whenever possible:) (Thanks again for this coming Saturday Hubs)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @holly- we got such good use out of that fleece!

    @Jtk and tinna- the policy was set because of moojie and I didn't think it was fair to penalize Zita. II gave her a chance to show me that she can make a sleepover work. Plus, we needed the breathing room on the home front, and it was a long weekend. She had to do all her homework, and practice a lot of clarinet before she went. Generally speaking, the policy still stands.

    ReplyDelete