Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Exploring Sintra

We wanted to take my mom somewhere she hadn't already been, which is not very easy given that she has spent so much time here. 
 I blogged about visiting the newly opened Condessa d´Elda house  back in March, and we once again wanted to picnic in Sintra. As soon as tennis was finished for the day, off we went exploring.

 I wish someone were standing in front of these boulders to provide scale. They are imposing and wonderful and such a sight to see.
 Sintra never fails squash any luke-warm feeling I occasionally have about living in Portugal. The mature trees and damp misty forest with palaces and castles popping up here and there are pure magic.
 There are great views of the Palácio de Pena from the trails around the chalet. We practically walked all the way there in March. A stroller and a baby spared us the hike this time around. What was I thinking forgetting that Bjorn ?
 Disney-like enchanted forest is everywhere. I would not have blinked had a prince ridden through on a white horse.
 I´m still getting used to saying the "three boys," but here they are- the three boys.

I have constant guilt and worry that I'm failing on the cultural front with the children. Has Freddy even been to a real metropolitan symphony performance? No. I think I have to accept that we are in the thick of our nature phase and just put the guilt to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment