Tuesday, January 8, 2013

More on Christmas Eve

Sunday was King's Day, which for us is marked by Christmas fruit cake and the de-Christmasing of our house. We took down our tree, put away all the decorations, and disassembled the train, piece by piece, in what was a mere 2 hour process. The house hasn't fully recovered, but we are almost there. I know everyone is has had enough of Christmas, but I still haven't posted fully about Christmas Eve or Christmas day.

So back to Christmas Eve. My mom and I had fudge made by 8:30 in the morning, and being the only child in the kitchen at that hour, Freddy was there to decorate with exuberance.

We decorated the tree in the afternoon after the children had their tennis lessons.


The sound of the train and its almost constant de-railment were ever present as we bumbled around the house.
Sebby's new stocking hung by the chimney with care.
Just before our annual family-in-front-of-the-tree photo, Freddy got red paint on his khaki pants, and Zita got fudge smack in the middle of the tummy of her white shirt. The was after negotiations rivaling Northern Ireland peace talks regarding what each of them would wear. Freddy's biggest complaints were: a) a lack of blazer b) a strong preference for short sleeved shirts.

Two shots from my mom's phone:

We headed to the kids' great-grandmother's house where I spent a great-deal of the evening either nursing Sebby or trying to get him to go to sleep in an adjoining room.

A two course dinner of turkey, and fluffy gnocchi are the family's Christmas Eve staples. The evening came to a close with a puppet show about their great-great grandfather. Moojie narrated with a clear, deep, and well projected voice.


I let a lot slip this year, but like every other Christmas Eve, it was a day replete with good food, good company, and excited anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment